CalVet Fee Waiver Program
The CalVet fee waiver program entitles dependent children, spouse or unmarried surviving spouses of a service connected disabled or deceased veteran to tuition and fee waiver benefits at any of the California State University system, University of California or a California Community College.
- Have a parent who is a disabled veteran (0% or more disabled); or
- Have a spouse or domestic partner who is service-connected (S/C) deceased or rated 100% S/C disabled.
- Be a child earning less than $11,161.00 per year (student's income, not parents).
Note: There is no income limit for a spouse, domestic partner or children of S/C deceased or 100% S/C veterans.
- Attend a California Community College, California State University, or a University of California school.
- Provide proof of the student's relationship to the veteran such as a copy of a birth, marriage or domestic partnership certificate.
How to apply
- Applicants must submit:
- A proof of student's relation to the veteran like a birth certificate or a marriage certificate.
- A proof of income like previous year's tax return.
- If the student has no income a statement to that effect can be obtained from the Franchise Tax Board or the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).
- Download and complete the application form here.
- Submit the application to the local County Veterans Service Office (CVSO) for processing. Please contact your local CVSO for more program details.
- Submit the Authorization letter from the County to the Veterans University office.
Note: The tuition waiver is applicable only for Academic Year from Fall to Summer and does not include the WInter/May intersession courses.