Skip to Local Navigation
Skip to Content
California State University, Long Beach
Housing &  Residential Life
Print this pageAdd this page to your favoritesSelect a small fontSelect a medium fontSelect a large font

Freshmen Residential Requirement

First-time freshmen are required (as space is available) to live in University Housing during their first year at CSULB.

You are NOT required to live in University Housing if you:

  • Are 21 years or older as of August 23, 2014

  • Will be living at home with a parent(s) or legal guardian(s) during your entire freshmen year.

Research continues to show that students who live in university housing, particularly in their first year of college, have an advantage over students who do not live on campus. These advantages include greater psychosocial development, higher retention and graduation rates, greater educational aspiration and greater satisfaction with their overall college experience. In other words, they grow more personally, make friends, stay in school, are more likely to graduate and are generally happier with their collegiate experience than their classmates who commute to school.

Exemption Policy

Exemptions from the requirement will be considered based upon the criteria listed below. Students must be admitted to the University, and apply for Housing, before they can submit an exemption request. All requests must be submitted in writing to the Housing and Residential Life Office along with appropriate documentation which demonstrates the authenticity of the circumstances for which a student is requesting an exemption. Students who are under the age of 18 when appealing must also submit a letter from a parent or guardian indicating the latter’s awareness of and consent to the appeal to live off-campus. The request form will be available on our website, and we will begin to accept exemption requests from admitted students, on March 3, 2014.

Submitting an Exemption Form:

1. Apply for fall housing.

2. A link to the Exemption Form can be found within STEP 3 of the Housing application.

3. Complete the Exemption Form and provide proper supporting documentation.

4. Return it to the CSULB Housing Office.

*You still need to apply for University Housing if you will be filing for an exemption.

Exemption Criteria

  1. Current active military or veteran's status – Student must verify by submitting a copy of the DD Form 214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (if a veteran) or written proof of current active military duty.
  2. Married, domestically partnered, and/or with legally dependent children – Copies of the marriage certificate or certificate of registration of domestic partnership and/or child's birth certificate are required.
  3. Independent student status – Student must have been declared an independent student for the past two calendar years and not claimed by their parent(s) during the same period. Verification is required.
  4. Limited credit student – Students carrying five (5) credit hours or less per semester for the entire academic year may be granted an exemption. If six (6) credit hours or more per semester are attempted during a subsequent semester during the academic year in which the student received the exemption, the student will be required to live in University housing. Documentation is necessary in each case.
  5. Medical and disability circumstances – Exemption requests for medical or disability reasons will be forwarded to the Disabled Student Services office. DSS will render a decision and notify the Housing and Residential Life Office.
  6. Other – Where it can be conclusively demonstrated that special circumstances exist which would create a substantial personal hardship which is exacerbated by living on campus and cannot be remedied by alternative means. Verification of the special circumstances is required.
  7. Living at Home - Students who choose to live at home with the parent(s) or legal guardian(s) and commute to the university during the entirety of their freshman year. Students who wish to live at home with parent(s) or legal guardian(s) are allowed to do so, but must submit the Exemption Form by completing the "Living at Home" section.