History of the Associated Students
The beginnings of student life at CSULB came almost immediately after the opening of the university in 1949. Student organizations got under way the first semester with the creation of the Associated Student Body.
On June 15, 1956, the Associated Student Body formally incorporated under the new name “Associated Students of Long Beach State College”. As stated in the Articles of Incorporation, the primary purposes for which the corporation was formed are:
To promote and assist in carrying out the educational services of Associated Students, California State University, Long Beach and to perform other functions related to the student activities of the university.
To promote and maintain a student self-government organization under the supervision of university officials for the purpose of providing essential activities closely related to, but not normally included as a part of, the regular instructional program of the university. The activities will be designed to contribute to the development of leadership ability and the recreational and social needs of the students.
To build, construct, lease, or purchase buildings, which may be necessary to carry out the purposes of the corporation.
To apply funds and property coming within its possession toward furthering the educational services and/or welfare of the students and to perform other functions related to the student activities of the university.
Today, the official name of the corporation is “Associated Students, California State University, Long Beach”. The association has grown and matured a great deal since its beginnings. Below are a number of critical milestones in the development of the organization:
1957: Soroptimist House is constructed and donated to Associated Students for use by student organizations. It serves as the first “college union” for the campus.
1965: Students approve a fee referendum to finance the construction and operation of a “student body center”, later named the “University Student Union” through another student referendum.
1970: First recycling program started with funding from Associated Students.
1971: Construction of the University Student Union building is completed.
1971: Associated Students begins providing childcare for children of students at the local YMCA. Program later moves to the Soroptimist House.
1975: Isabel Patterson Child Development Center opens.
1976: The Recycling Center facility built with funding from Associated Students and the City of Long Beach.
1977: The Long Beach Union newspaper begins publication.
1986: The Isabel Patterson Child Development Center expands. Construction of the “Dome” and an office building are completed.
1994: The Isabel Patterson Child Development Center’s Infant/Toddler facility is completed.
1995: Students approve a fee referendum to finance the renovation and expansion of University Student Union
1998: The $17M USU Improvement Project is completed, providing an additional 24,000 square feet to the facility.
1998: K-Beach radio makes its first broadcast.
2000: The “Beach Pride” referendum is approved, providing over $1 million in student funds for CSULB Athletics.
2000: Campus Spirit Programs become part of Associated Students.
2004: Intramural Sports Program becomes part of Associated Students and is later renamed "Intramural Sports and Wellness"
2006: The "Dome" building of the Isabel Patterson Child Development Center is demolished and replaced with a new school-age program facility
2007: Students approve a fee referendum to finance the construction and operation of a new Student Recreation and Wellness Center set to open in 2010.