Institutional Review Board Manual
This is a manual for students, faculty, staff, and external researchers employing human subjects in research conducted under the aegis of (or on the premises of) the University, including both on- and off-campus research by and with University personnel as researchers or research subjects.
This Web site is the principal and authoritative expression of the manual. The manual is produced by the Office of Research & Sponsored Programs, FO5-111, 562-985-8147, e-mail Mary.Walker@csulb.edu
(See revisions to the manual)
- National Commission for the Protection of Human Subjects
of Biomedical and Behavioral Research
"The Belmont Report: Ethical Principles and Guidelines for the Protection of Human Subjects of Research"
(1979; updated 1998)
- The Code of Federal Regulations, All Human Subjects Titles
- American Psychological Association, "Ethical Principles of
Psychologists and Code of Conduct," 2002
- CSU Long Beach Policy Statement 00-03
"Protection of Human Subjects," 1/28/00
- Membership of the IRB
- Office for Human Research Protections (OHRP, formerly OPRR) website and
OHRP IRB Guidebook
- CSULB's Federal-wide Assurance
- Federal Certificate of Confidentiality "Kiosk"
The written procedures and resources developed by the IRB:
- Dear Colleague Letter re: Disclosure of Information Obtained in Research
- Administrative Review Decision Program
- Informed Consent Instructions and Template
- IRB Procedures
- Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative
- As of September 1, 2013 IRB Training Certification must be done by Completing the " Social & Behavioral Research - Basic/Refresher " Course offered by CITI (Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative ).
- If you were IRB Certified using the CSULB Training Modules before September 1, 2013, that Certification remains valid until further notice. You do not have to complete the CITI course.
- Research Use of Existing Data Involving Human Beings
The application forms and guidelines developed by the IRB:
NOTE: Standard Reviews (Full Committe Reviews) must be submitted no later than the last Friday of the month prior to the month of the meeting. For example, to be considered at the October IRB meeting an application must be received not later than the last Friday in September.
- Instructions for Completing the IRB Application Forms
- IRB Application Form [Also available from the Documents Library on IRBNet)
- IRB Application Form (Existing Human Data Study) [Also available from the Documents Library on IRBNet)
- Sample Informed Consent Form [Also available from the Documents Library on IRBNet)
- Faculty Supervisor's Statement Template [Also available from the Documents Library on IRBNet)
- IRB Application Check List [Also available from the Documents Library on IRBNet)
- Annual Report and Renewal Application [ Also available from the Documents Library on IRBNet)
- Protocol Modifications [Also available from the Documents Library on IRBNet)
- Closure of an IRB -Approved Study---Final Progress Report
- FAQ: Submitting Subsequent Packages
- FAQ: Qualtrics "unanswer" method
- Changes to this Manual