Assistant/Associate Professor - Design
Assistant/Associate Professor of Design
August 18, 2014 (Fall semester)
Commensurate with qualifications and experience
- MFA or relevant master’s degree, or official notification of the completion of the degree by August 1, 2014, or equivalent record of extraordinary professional experience.
- Portfolio of demonstrated innovation and collaboration in design.
- Demonstrated excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Commitment to and/or expertise in educating a diverse student population.
- Evidence of effective college level teaching experience.
- Demonstrated experience and leadership in one or more of the following: Management and Entrepreneurship; Technology and Production/Fabrication; Materials and Processes; Strategy, Systems and Methodology.
- Teach lower division foundation classes, upper division studio classes, and others.
- Contribute to the development of curriculum in one or more of the following: Design Foundation, Theory, and Methodology; the Business of Design; Project Management; Contemporary Materials and Processes. Advise students. Conduct design research and/or professional practice. Committee work and service to the department, college, university, and community.
The Department of Design at California State University, Long Beach is committed to building a more diverse faculty, staff, and student body as it responds to the changing population and educational needs of California and the nation. We seek applicants and nominations from those who have experience teaching, mentoring, and developing research in ways that effectively address individuals from historically underrepresented backgrounds. California State University, Long Beach is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer.
- Letter of application addressing the minimum and desired/preferred qualifications
- CV including current e-mail address
- Three to five letters of recommendation
- Copy of transcript from institution awarding highest degree
- A minimum of 20 digital images of applicant’s work, and if prior teaching experience, a minimum of 20 digital images of students’ work. Digital images must be formatted at 1024x768, 72 dpi, and JPEG files on CD or DVD. Also provide a proof sheet of 4 images per 8 1/2”x11” page at a minimum of 150 dpi with captions describing and corresponding to all digital images submitted.
- Please provide a self-addressed envelope and adequate postage for return of digital images.
- Finalists will also be required to submit a signed SC-1 form, three to five current letters of recommendation (if not already submitted) and an official transcript.
Applications, required documentation, and/or requests for information should be addressed to:
Martin Herman, Chair
California State University, Long Beach
Department of Design
1250 Bellflower Boulevard
Long Beach, CA 90840-5401
CSULB is committed to creating a community in which a diverse population can learn, live, and work in an atmosphere of tolerance, civility and respect for the rights and sensibilities of each individual, without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, religious creed, sex, gender identification, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, medical condition, age, political affiliation, Vietnam era veteran status, or any other veteran's status. CSULB is an Equal Opportunity Employer.