Skip to Local Navigation
Skip to Content
California State University, Long Beach
Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement
Print this pageAdd this page to your favoritesSelect a font sizeSelect a small fontSelect a medium fontSelect a large font

GWAR Guidelines for Advisors

Advisor helping a student

While over 90% of native English speakers fulfill the GWAR by scoring 11 or higher on the WPE on their first attempt, over 50% of students for whom English is a second language score below 11 on their first attempt.  Upper-division transfer students and International students are particularly challenged by this CSU graduation requirement.

GWAR Pathways in the Academic Requirements Report (ARR)

Exciting changes in the GWAR program are being implemented to help students satisfy the GWAR promptly and avoid delays in their graduation.  The biggest change is that the WPE is being used as a diagnostic tool to place students in the most appropriate pathway to GWAR success.  Effective Fall 2010, students are required to complete a GWAR path based on their WPE scores, and they are expected to satisfy the requirement in 1 year.  You will find pathway details on the Students page. 

The Academic Requirements Report (ARR) now includes the GWAR pathways.  When students take the WPE, their GWAR pathway is displayed in the ARR.  This means that advisors can now quickly detemine where students are in their required GWAR pathway and help them progress through the pathway more promptly.

GWAR advisors are located in the University Center for Undergraduate Advising (UCUA).  To request information about the GWAR program, contact Linda Sarbo, GWAR Coordinator at

GWAR Course Sections for International & Returning Students

Designated sections of English English 301B are offered through the College of Continuing and Professional Education (CCPE) for international students and returning non-matriculated students.  These sections ensure that students with special GWAR needs have access to appropriate writing instruction.  International students should contact the Lyndsay Green at for course schedules and registration instructions.  Returning non-matriculated students should contact Lyndsay Green at for course schedules, registration instructions, and permits.

Back to top