Please note, admission to this program is currently suspended to new students.
A Master's in Business Administration (MBA) with a Specialization in Consumer Affairs, Fashion Merchandising and Design, or Hospitality Management is offered through the College of Business Administration. Please contact the advisor in these areas for further information. The advisors include:
This program is designed to prepare students with a background in program evaluation and administration, research methods, and application of advanced subject matter knowledge to enhance the quality of life of individuals, families, and communities. The advanced candidate selects either a thesis track or directed project track to facilitate a selected career path.
There are four specializations in this program:
Interested students should contact the Department of Family and Consumer Sciences Graduate Coordinator at (562) 985-4484. Online information can be found at http://www.csulb.edu/colleges/chhs/departments/fcs/programs/graduate/MADegree.htm.
Prospective applicants must comply with University requirements for admission to graduate studies as outlined in this catalog. Students must concurrently submit application to the University Admissions and Records office and the Department. A cohort of students will be admitted each Fall semester.
Admission to the Master of Arts in Family and Consumer Sciences is dependent upon approval by the Graduate Coordinator. The application requirements for prospective graduate students for the Master of Arts degree are:
1. At least a 3.0 grade-point cumulative undergraduate average.
2. A copy of the application submitted to the University Office of Admissions and Records.
3. Three letters of recommendation (preferably from previous instructors).
4. Additional materials that provide evidence of academic performance may be requested (at a later date) after review of applicant's file.
5. Approval by the Graduate Coordinator.
6. DEADLINES FOR RECEIPT OF APPLICATIONS TO THE DEPARTMENT GRADUATE COORDINATOR: CURRENTLY NOT ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS.
1. Students are responsible for meeting all prerequisite requirements prior to enrolling in 500/600 level courses.
2. Students from other disciplines may be required to complete prerequisite courses before enrolling in 500/600 level courses.
3. Prerequisites for all courses carrying graduate credit must have been completed within five years of taking the graduate courses. If the prerequisite is outdated, the prerequisite(s) must be repeated or credit obtained by examination.
4. Students deficient in undergraduate preparation must take courses to remove these deficiencies at the discretion of faculty in the specified subject matter area and the Graduate Coordinator. Courses taken to remove deficiencies may not be included in the graduate program of study.
1. Maintain a 3.0 or better grade point average in all graduate work completed at CSULB and all graduate work transferred to meet graduate requirements.
2. Maintain satisfactory progress toward the degree objective.
1. Satisfactory completion of the Writing Proficiency Examination/Graduate Writing Assessment Requirement (WPE/GWAR).
2. Minimum of 3.0 overall GPA and a 3.0 average in all units undertaken for the approval program of study.
3. Complete all the following courses: EDP 419; FCS 563, FCS 600, FCS 696
4. Approval of the Graduate Coordinator, and Associate Dean of the College of Health and Human Services.
5. Enrolled in the semester in which the Advancement to Candidacy takes place.
1. Completion of a minimum of 30 units of approved upper-division and graduate courses with a minimum of 21 units in FCS.
2. Completion of the following:
Take all the following courses:
Complete 6 units of Advisor approved courses in the area of specialization (Consumer Affairs, Family and Consumer Sciences Education, Fashion Merchandising or Hospitality Management).
3. Completion of an oral presentation of the Thesis or Directed Project report.