The College of Business Administration (CBA) at California State University, Long Beach, offers the opportunity for a selected group of outstanding students to participate in the CBA Honors Program. This enriched, more demanding program gives students an opportunity to enroll in special 'Honors Seminars' composed of a small number of the CBA's most outstanding students that are taught by a select group of the College's faculty. In addition, students complete a senior project (much like an honors thesis), the topic of which is based on the individual student's interests and skills.
Thus, the Honors Program offered by the CBA (CBAHP) is intended to be intellectually rewarding, and to provide a valuable experience that enhances students' future careers. Special focus is on those students who wish to pursue an advanced degree and career in academia.
The program is designed as a 3-semester program, usually beginning in the Summer semester before the senior year. The program is also open to motivated juniors. Typically, CBAHP students take a preliminary honors seminar the first semester, and progress to advanced honors seminars and their senior project the following academic year.
Admission is limited to approximately 20 students per year, but may increase depending on demand and college resources. Applicants are selected for their promise as interesting and creative individuals, not simply on the basis of grades or test scores.
Each applicant must meet the following basic requirements:
1. A minimum 3.5 cumulative GPA in all college and university courses, and a minimum of 3.5 GPA in the major. Students with a 3.2 - 3.49 may be admitted if they are nominated by two tenured faculty members of the CBA. A maximum of 10% of the students in the program will be admitted by nomination.
2. A minimum score of 14 on the Writing Proficiency Exam (WPE).
3. A completed application form. A personal interview may be requested at the discretion of the Program Director or Advisory Board.
4. At least one letter of reference from a CSULB tenured (or tenure-track) faculty member (CBA faculty are preferred). Additional outside character references (maximum of 2) are admissible as supplemental support for admission.
Applications should be addressed to the:
Director of the CBA Honors Program
College of Business Administration
1250 Bellflower Blvd.
Long Beach, CA 90840
Award of the Honors in Business requires:
1. Completion of the requirements of the major, with a minimum overall GPA of 3.5 and a minimum GPA in the major of 3.5.
2. A minimum GPA of 3.5 for all CBA Honors Program seminars.
3. Completion of the 3 Honors Seminars.
The seminars bring together scholars and noted business leaders from a broad range of disciplines/industries, and may involve multiple CBA faculty over the course of the program. Course projects are designed to 'fit' with the nature of the issues addressed, the expertise of the various distinguished guest speakers, and interests of the individual student.
4. Successful completion of the required Honors Thesis.
5. Students who fail to meet the above requirements or those who fail to enroll in CBA Honors Program courses will be withdrawn from the program. Others may also be withdrawn at the discretion of the Program Director for such reasons as unethical behavior or misconduct.
1. A bachelor of science degree in Business Administration which may be completed concurrently with the certificate requirements;
2. A minimum of 15 units of transportation and transportation-related course work at California State University, Long Beach to be selected with the approval of the Program Director.
3. A grade of “C” or higher will be required for every course;
4. The certificate program does not permit the use of the Credit/No Credit option.