SPSS for Windows can be installed on faculty and staff personal computers using a site license authorization code. Our CSU - SPSS license supports only the two most current versions on the Windows platform, so uninstall earlier versions of SPSS. Installing SPSS for Windows will not interfere with prior installations as each product has a unique directory. This license is supported by Academic Technology Services (ATS). For on-campus computers, it is recommended that you install SPSS using the "SPSS Network License Installation" document.
The minimum hardware and software requirements for SPSS are as follows:
For connecting with an SPSS Server, a network adapter running the TCP/IP network protocol.
When you install SPSS, you must have administrator privileges. You must also have an Internet connection to complete the authorization process. When on-campus, wireless users must not only have a connection to the campus network, but you must also log onto the campus with your identification number and password to activate an Internet connection.
1. Click "Install SPSS 19.0" to begin installation.
2. Select "Site license" and click Next> to continue.
3. Please review the License Agreement, accept the terms, and click Next> to continue.
4. Please review the ReadMe Information and click Next> to continue.
5. Enter the Customer Information. The serial number is available on CSULB Software Depot.
6. The default destination folder is C:\Program Files\SPSSInc\Statistics18\. Click Next>.
7. Click Install button to begin the installation.
8. Uncheck the "Register with spss.com" box. Click OK to start the license authorization process.
9. Choose Licensing Method.
If you enable a temporary trial period of 14 days, you will have access to additional SPSS modules for 14 days. These include the ExactTest, Complex Samples, Classification Trees, ValidateData, Programmability, Advanced Visualization, Adaptor for PRedictive Enterprise Services and Neural Networks. This is important if you need to use a procedure with a fast turnaround. At the end of the trial period, you will run the SPSS Authorization Wizard to reset the software license.
10. Click Next.
11. Enter the authorization code. The authorization code is available on CSULB Software Depot. If you did not record the code when downloading the software, you can return and browse the "My Software" tab -> SPSS Receipt webpage to find the code. Click Next.
12. Select the authorization method as "Internet". Click Next.
13. Internet Authorization Status will indicate successful completion.
14. Licensing Completed. Note the expiration date. Click Finish.
15. Launch SPSS to confirm installation.
If the Authorization Wizard does not provide you with a "successfully processed" message and SPSS fails when attempting to launch, try the next procedure to authorize your installation of SPSS.
1. Select Start --> Run. Enter "cmd" and click the OK button.
2. At the prompt, if necessary, change the drive to "C:\". Then change the directory to "C:\Program Files\spssinc\statistics18". Finally, enter the following command: "spssactivator.exe".
3. Enter the Authorization code provided.
4. Type "exit" to return to the Windows interface.
5. Try running SPSS again.
Please submit questions, problems or suggestions [opens new window]
regarding the SPSS license.