SPSS for Macintosh
SPSS for Macintosh can be installed on faculty and staff personal computers using a site license authorization code. Check your operating system, such as an Intel-based Macintosh computer running Mac OS 10.6 Snow Leopard, to confirm compatibility with SPSS. This license is supported by the Academic Technology Services (ATS). For on-campus computers, it is recommended that you install SPSS using the "SPSS 16 for Macintosh Network License Installation" document.
The minimum hardware and software requirements for SPSS are as follows:
PowerPC or Intel processor.
RAM: 512 megabytes (MB), at least 1 gigabyte (GB) is recommended.
800 MB of available hard-disk space.
Super VGA (800x600) or a higher-resolution monitor.
Safari 1.3.1 or higher, Mozilla® Firefox® 1.5 or higher, or Netscape® 7.2 or higher
Java Standard Edition 5.0 (J2SE 5.0)
To install SPSS, you will be asked for your administrator password.
IMPORTANT: Before installing SPSS 18 for Macintosh on a PowerPC-based Macintosh computer, it is recommended that you uninstall earlier versions of SPSS for Macintosh.
- Download SPSS for the Macintosh from CSULB Software Depot.
- Open download folder and click the SPSS Installer.
- Select "Site license" and click the Continue button.
- Enter Customer information. The Serial Number is available on CSULB Software Depot.
- Please review the License Agreement, accept the terms and click the Continue button.
- Please review the Installation Instructions and click the Continue button.
- The default destination directory is /Applications/SPSSInc/SPSS18. Click the Continue button.
- Click the Install button to begin the installation.
- Uncheck the "Register with spss.com" and click the OK button to begin the license authorization process.
- Choose Licensing Method.
If you enable a temporary trial period of 14 days, you will have access to additional SPSS modules for 14 days. These include the ExactTest, Complex Samples, Classification Trees, ValidateData, Programmability, Advanced Visualization, Adaptor for PRedictive Enterprise Services and Neural Networks. This is important if you need to use a procedure with a fast turnaround. At the end of the trial period, you will run the SPSS Authorization Wizard to reset the software license.
Select "License my product now" if you do not need to use the trial products.
- Overview of Licensing. Click the Next> button.
- Enter the Authorization Code. It is available upon request. Click the Next> button.
- Select the Authorization Method as Internet.
- Internet Authorization Status will indicate successful completion.
- Licensing Completed. Note the expiration dates and click the Finish button.
- Launch SPSS 18 for Macintosh to confirm installation.
If you are unable to update your SPSS for Macintosh with the Authorization Wizard, here's what you can try. Browse in the SPSS folder and locate the spssactivator.exe file. Launch this program and enter the authorization code when asked.
Please submit questions, problems or suggestions [opens new window] regarding the SPSS license.