Roy Ready is the winner in the Annual Internship Essay Competition
A compitition sponsored by the CSULB Career Development Center. As the College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics winner, he receives the $500 award at the Essay Contest Awards and the certificate.
Galen Pickett's origami art
Professor Galen Pickett's two origami art pieces are accepted to the 2014 Joint Mathematics Meetings (JMM) Exhibition of Mathematical Art to be held in Baltimore, Maryland, January 15-18, 2014.
Congratulations to Thomas E. Baker
(former student of Prof. Bill). He won the Kennedy Reed Award for Best Theoretical Research by a graduate student (Nov. 2013). The research has been done during his Master's thesis in our group and is related to the work submitted recently.
CSULB in the Orange County Register
Nobel Prize in Physics:
François Englert and Peter W. Higgs receive the 2013 Nobel Prize in Physics "for the theoretical discovery of a mechanism that contributes to our understanding of the origin of mass of subatomic particles, and which recently was confirmed through the discovery of the predicted fundamental particle, by the ATLAS and CMS experiments at CERN's Large Hadron Collider.
In Memoriam of Slobodan Bob Stankovic
It is with great sadness that we mourn the loss of our colleague and friend Slobodan Bob Stankovic, Faculty Lecturer at the department of Physics and Astronomy. Bob unexpectedly passed away on Friday May 31, 2013. Read the epitaph here.
Physics GRE Bootcamp (Aug. 23,24)
Public Talk (Aug 15, 16): Curiosity's First Year on Mars
Ashwin Vasavada, Mars Science Laboratory Deputy Project Scientists, Thursday, Aug. 15 at von Karman Auditorium (JPL, 4800 Oak Grove Drive, Pasadena) and Friday, Aug. 16 at Pasadena City College’s Vosloh Forum. (1570 E. Colorado Blvd) 7 p.m. von Karman Lecture Series for more information.
Peer to Peer Instruction Summer Workshop - July 11, 2013 - 11:30am-3:30pm - HSCI-102
The departments of Physics & Astronomy and Science Education invite you to the Peer to Peer Instruction Summer Workshop. The workshop is free, and lunch is provided. Please register at: http://tinyurl.com/knl37vn
More information is found on the calendar.
Southern California Condensed Matter Theory Meeting
This meeting is organized by Drs. A.Bill, M. Peterson and S. Haas (USC) Friday April 12, 2013 from 12-6pm in HSCI-102. Eight talks will be given, among which one by Dr. Peterson. The program, abstract and other information can be found on the meeting webpage.
Spring Fellows Colloquium
- Dr. P. Jaikumar is one of two featured guest speakers at this years fellows colloquium on, Cosmic Secrets Unlocked - The Bright and Dark Sides of Our Universe, Thursday March 14, 2013, RSVP online by March 9th at beach-physics.com
PhysTEC Open House:
5th CNSM Faculty Research Symposium:
Congradulations to our Faculty:
Congratulations to our Alumni:
- Firuz Demir, Alumni of our department just finished his PhD in Physics at Simon Fraser University, Canada.
- Joe Day, Alumni of the department and PhD student at University of Graz, Austria will come give the colloquium talk on February 11, 2013!
Congratulation to our SPS!
- The CSULB Society of Physics Students (SPS) is recognized as 2012 Outstanding Chapter! Congratulation to the president Julia Meiner, all participating students and the SPS advisor Dr. T. Gredig for a lively SPS and for all its activities!
New PhysTEC teacher in residence.
Congratulations to our students for obtaining the following awards:
- Tom Baker won the 2012 CSU wide Student Research Competition in Physical Sciences & Mathematics.
- Sarah E. Grefe - CSULB Graduate Research Fellowship
- Sam Koshy - 2011, NASA Graduate Student Award.
- Jill Pestana, Stephanie Sodergren - NASA summer research internship.
- Tom Baker - CSULB Graduate Research Fellowship and Philip Ord Johnson awards.
- Brandon Kawata - John and Terry Milligan award.
- Chris Safranski - Philip Ord Johnson award.
- Daniel Javier - Richard and Florence Scalettar Scholarship.
- Matthew Werber and Anastasia Woo - Richard Scalettar Special Scholarship.
- Ralph Damato - Simon George Physics Scholarship.
- Brian Flores, Victoria Marsh, Hanming Yuan, Ramsey Noah and Ryan Hashi - Physics Department Scholarship Fund.
- Daniel Javier – Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation (LSAMP) Fellow
GRE Boot Camp, 2012.
- The department hosted its second Physics GRE Boot Camp on May 19-20, 2012. The weekend was organized by the California Professoriate for Access to Physics Careers (CPAPC). Thirty-two students attended the preparation camp and faculty members from UC Santa Barbara, UCLA, UC Riverside, UC Irvine and UC San Diego came to present their respective PhD programs and participated in a Question & Answer session with students.
Nasa Graduate Award, 2012.
- Graduate student Sam Koshy obtained for the second time a NASA Graduate Student Award. Sam is the only student from a non-PhD granting University to obtain this award this year!
CSULB Faculty recieved Award of Excellence, 2011.
- One of our faculty, Andreas Bill, was awarded the 2011 Faculty Award for Excellence (aka the "Pretty Darn Good Professor award") of the College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics.
Cali, Colombia, June 29-July 1, 2011.
In 2010 the department had the largest number of Physics Master's students graduating among Master's granting institutions in the nation! See more news in our Physics & Astronomy Department Newsletter.
This Year's Nobel Prize
The Nobel prize in Physics has been given to Saul Perlmutter, Brian P. Schmidt, and Adam G. Ries for "the discovery of the accelerating expansion of the universe through observation of distant supernovae". See the official website of the announcement.
The Nobel prize in Chemistry has been given to D. Shechtman for "the discovery of quasicrystals." See the official website of the announcement. Note: this topic is one of the semester projects offered in our Intro. to Solid State Physics class (PHYS-470/569).