Welcome to Composition/Theory at California State University, Long Beach!
The composition program at CSULB provides students with
opportunities to master a wide range of compositional
techniques and technologies in order to become more
informed, literate musicians and better prepared to
develop their own unique creative compositional voice. At
CSULB composers are in a robust and cooperative musical
environment where they have ample opportunities to have
their work performed. Our major performing ensembles, the
Symphony Orchestra, Wind Symphony, and Choir, offer
readings and performances of student compositions.
Additionally, there are composition studio concerts each
semester showcasing students' creative work in public
performance. Our New Music Ensemble also provides composers with performance
opportunities and experience in concert production. The Composers' Guild is a dynamic, student-run organization that produces student composers' concerts and collaborative projects. The Composers' Colloquium brings prominent guest composers to campus each semester.
We offer the BM in Music Composition, MA in Music Composition, MA in Music Theory. Scholarships and assistantships are available.
Our course offerings include composition at all levels, beginning and advanced film scoring, advanced theory, electronic and computer music, experimental music and digital media, sound design, advanced topics in listening and analysis, song writing, music theater, music and dance collaboration, sound engineering and recording.
Our students have gone on to pursue notable careers as:
- Acclaimed composers of chamber, orchestra, and vocal music
- Composers of experimental interactive computer music
- Doctoral candidates at prestigious universities and conservatories
- Successful composers in the video game industry
- Successful film composers
- Musical theater composers and music directors
- Music teachers in K-12 and university professors
- Sound recording engineers and post-production artists with professional film companies