Master of Arts in Kinesiology
Seven options are under the Master of Arts degree in Kinesiology and are described below. The core courses for thesis students are KPE 590, 696, and 698. The core courses for comprehensive examination students are KPE 590, 695, and 696.
The student may select the thesis/project track or the comprehensive examination track. The student who chooses the thesis/project track is required to complete a thesis or a project. The student who chooses the comprehensive examination track is required to take KPE 695. The minimum unit requirement for the MA degree major program is 30 units for thesis/project students and 36 units for comprehensive examination students. The minimum unit requirement for the MS degree major program is 33 units for thesis/project students and 39 units for comprehensive examination students.
- A bachelor's degree from an accredited institution with a major in Kinesiology/Physical Education; or
- A bachelor's degree in another field with a minimum of 15 units of upper division courses in Kinesiology composed of prerequisite courses needed for the tentative degree plan to be determined by the student's major advisor and approved by the Department Graduate Coordinator. All deficiencies must be removed prior to Advancement to Candidacy.
- An overall undergraduate GPA of 2.50 or better and an upper division Kinesiology/ Physical Education major GPA of 2.75 or better;
- A minimum cumulative score of 1350 on the verbal, quantitative and analytical sections of the Graduate Record Examination.
Advancement to Candidacy
- Completion of the general University requirements for advancement to candidacy;
- Successful completion of the CSULB Writing Proficiency Examination. Information about the exam is available in the Testing Office (SS/A-216);
- A graduate program must have approval of the student's advisor, Department Graduate Coordinator, and Associate Dean of Graduate Students, Research, and Faculty Affairs for the College of Health and Human Services.
- Option in Adapted Physical Education (code 5-1235)
- Option in Coaching (code 5-1238)
- Option in Motor Behavior (code 5-1237)
- Option in Pedagogical Studies (code 5-1232)
- Option in Sports Studies (code 5-1236)
- Option in Sports Management (code 5-1233)
- Option in Individualized, Program, and Generalized Areas (code 5-1239)