What is Engineering?
Engineering, the practical application of science and math to solve problems, is everywhere in the world around you. Every day you use engineering technologies to commute, interact with others, learn, improve your health, and entertain yourself.
- Engineers constantly discover how to improve our lives by creating bold new solutions that connect science to life in unexpected forward thinking ways.
- Engineers are problem solvers who make things more efficiently, more quickly, and less expensively.
- Engineers are the designers and inventors that help us better use science and technology in our world. Their work is the link between scientific discoveries and the commercial applications that meet societal and consumer needs.
Is Engineering The Right Major For You?
One of the most import reasons for selecting a particular field of study is your level of interest in that area. Having a sincere interest in one’s field of study is essential to having a satisfying college experience. In addition to being passionate about your chosen major it is also important that your academic skills match the demands of the major.
At CSULB, multiple semesters of physics and calculus lay the foundation for our rigorous engineering and computing degrees. Therefore, it is essential for engineering students to have a solid background in math and physics along with a strong work ethic.
Do you like solving technical problems? Do you excel in math and science? Are you innovative and enjoy working in teams? Do you like to be challenged?
If you answer Yes to these questions you may be a future engineer!
Why Choose Engineering at the Beach?
We are counting on engineers and their imagination to help us meet the needs of the 21st. With nearly twenty undergraduate degree programs in engineering and computing fields, the College of Engineering is committed to providing high quality applications-based education to students in an effort to meet the needs of society.
CSULB is strategically located in the engineering hot bed of Southern California and maintains strong connections amongst industry partners. Due to the project-based learning that occurs in our programs, CSULB graduates have earned a reputation for their practical knowledge and are highly sought by industry.
- In 2012, The Princeton Review designated CSULB as one of the nation’s “Best Value” public universities in recognition of our commitment to high-quality education at an affordable cost.
- U.S. News and World Report continuously rank the College of Engineering as one of the top 50 undergraduate programs in the nation.
- The College of Engineering ranks 1st in the CSU System in receiving grants and contracts for applications based research conducted by faculty and students.
- Our faculty members have experience in more than 100 research areas ranging from aerospace engineering to transportation and logistics.
- Our college is a leading supplier of employees to many top engineering companies in Southern California.
For more information regarding undergraduate admissions please click on the following links:
How do I apply to CSULB?
We are excited that you have selected CSULB’s College of Engineering. You should apply to CSULB online by visiting CSUMentor.
Your application and $55.00 filing fee (or fee waiver request) must be submitted by the application deadline.
Get your application to us quickly and accurately. Receive confirmation by email.