Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering (MAE)
MAE Course Descriptions
ET Course Descriptions
ENGR Course Descriptions
to Eric Besnard
Research & Publications
One of Dr. Besnard's current interests
is the aerodynamic optimization of aircraft high-lift systems.
This work involves developing efficient CFD methods for predicting
flows about complex three-dimensional configurations as well
as advancing the current state of the art in numerical optimization
methods for MDO and CFD applications. He was a key player in
CSULB's team in the conceptual design of hydrofoils for fast
ships, in contract with the Office of Naval Research. Previously,
Eric conducted studies related to Hybrid and Natural Laminar
Flow Control for McDonnell Douglas and has also worked on aircraft
Chapters and Journal Articles
- T. Cebeci, E. Besnard, and H.H. Chen, "An Interactive
Boundary Layer Method for Multielement Airfoils," Computers
& Fluids, Vol. 27, No. 5-6, pp. 651-661, 1998 (paper
in Proceedings of the Sixth International Symposium on Computational
Fluid Dynamics, Lake Tahoe, Nevada, September 1995).
- T. Cebeci and E. Besnard, "An Efficient and Accurate
Approach for Analysis and Design of High Lift Configurations",
Canadian Aeronautics and Space Journal, Vol. 44,
No. 4, December 1998 (invited paper in Proceedings of the
Sixth Aerodynamic Symposium, Canadian Aeronautics and Space
Institute, Toronto, Canada, April 1997).
- T. Cebeci, E. Besnard and H.H. Chen, "The Role of
Zarf in Predicting Transition in Three-Dimensional Flows with
the Saddle-Point Method", in Transitional Boundary
Layers in Aeronautics, R.A.W.M. Henkes and J.L. Van Ingen
(Editors), 1996 (invited paper at a colloquium in Amsterdam,
Netherlands, December 1995).
- E. Besnard, Prediction of High Lift Flows with Separation,
Ph.D. Dissertation, Claremont Graduate University and California
State University, Long Beach, CA, May 1998.
- Eric Besnard, Bastien Puech, Daniil Ivshin, Orhan Kural,
and Tuncer Cebeci, "Prediction of Stall and Post-Stall
in Two- and Three-Dimensional Flows," AIAA Paper No.
00-0979, January 2000.
- E. Besnard, N. Cordier-Lallouet, A. Schmitz, O. Kural,
and H.P. Chen, "Design and Optimization with Advanced
Simulated Annealing," AIAA Paper No. 99-0186,
- E. Besnard, O. Kural, and T. Cebeci, " Flow Predictions
about Three-Dimensional High Lift Systems," AIAA
Paper No. 99-0543, January 1999.
- E. Besnard, A. Schmitz, K. Kaups, G. Tzong, H. Hefazi,
H.H. Chen, O. Kural, and T. Cebeci, "Hydrofoil Design
and Optimization for Fast Ships," Proceedings of
the 1998 ASME International Congress and Exhibition,
Anaheim, CA, November 1998.
- E. Besnard, A. Schmitz, E. Boscher, N. Garcia, and T. Cebeci,
" Two-dimensional Aircraft High-Lift System Design and
Optimization," AIAA Paper No. 98-404, 1998.
- E. Besnard, G. Reboul, T. Vermeersch, A. Schmitz, and T.
Cebeci, "Prediction of Wing Flows with Separation,"
AIAA Paper No. 98-404, 1998.
- T. Cebeci, E. Besnard, and H.H. Chen, " Calculation
of Multi-Element Airfoil Flows, Including Flap Wells,"
AIAA Paper No. 96-0056, January 1996.
- T. Cebeci, E. Besnard, and S. Messié , "A Stability/Transition-Interactive-Boundary-Layer
Approach to Multi-Element Wings at High Lift," AIAA
Paper No. 94-0292, January 2994.
- T. Cebeci and E. Besnard, "Prediction of the Performance
Degradation of an Aircraft in Natural Icing Conditions,"
AIAA Paper No. 94-0487, January 1994, and invited
paper in Proceedings of the First Bombardier International
Workshop, Montréal, Canada, September 1993. Also,
Eric Besnard, MS Thesis, CSULB, December 1992.