Past STAR Events
- March 4, 2012 - Improving Education for All: Active Learning in the Science Classroom, Lisa Martin-Hansen
- October 16, 2012 - An Overview of the Turkish Education System, Yilmaz Kara
- November 6, 2012 - Next Generation Science Education Standards, Laura Henriques
- October 4, 2011 - Designing Professional Development for Science Teaching, Jo Topps, Department of Science Education
- October 25, 2011 - Talking to Learn: The Role of Student Conversation in Literacy and Science Learning, Lauren Shea and Terry Shanahan
- November 15, 2011 - Promoting Empowerment and Professionalism Among Informal Educators Through Lesson Study, Debbie DeRoma and Donna Ross
- December 6, 2011 - Evolution, Global Warming and Chemistry Discourse: An Overview of Student Research in Science Education, Graduate students recap of projects
- April 3, 2012 - Supporting Science Discourse Practices in Online and On Ground Teacher Education Programs, Fred Frekking (USC) and Imelda Nava (UCLA)
- May 1, 2012 - Blending Science Instruction and English Language Development in Elementary Classrooms, Susan Gomez-Zwiep and Bill Straits (CSULB)
- September 20, 2010 What I've Learned - 25 years of Teaching High School Physics, Rod Ziolkowski, Whitney High School, ABC Unified School District
- October 25, 2010 Slimy, Soft, or Spiky? Examining family interactions and the potential for science learning at touch tanks, Dr. Jim Kisiel, Science Education Department, CSULB
- November 15, 2010 Homeless Education - What Every Teacher Should Know, Rhonda Haramis, Bethune Transitional Center, LBUSD
- December 6, 2010 Stemming the Tide: Understanding the Academic Success of Black Male College Students in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) majors - Dr. Saba Yohannes-Reda, CSULB
- February 15, 2011 New Science Education Standards on the Horizon: What Does it Mean for Science Educators - Dr. Martin Storksdieck, Director of the Natinoal Academny of Sciences Board on Science Education
- March 16, 2010 Coaching Teachers with Tools for Integrating Literacy and Science Content - Dr. Maria Grant, California State University, Fullerton
- April 13, 2011 An Exploratory Study of Graduate Degrees Research in Science Education at Princess Nora University Dr. Hiya Almazroa, Princess Nora University, Saudi Arabia
- April 19, 2011Making Meaning in Human-Dolphin Interactions in Zoological Facilities Dr. Diane Sweeney, Dolphin Quest
- May 2, 2011 Juicy Questions for Fruitful Inquiry - Investigating Science Learning at the Exploratorium Dr. Joshua Gutwill,Director of Vistor Research and Evaluation, Exploratorium
- September 21, 2009 Science Education, Science Curriculum and Science Teacher Training in China. Wang Su, Director of Centre for Science and Technology Education, China National Institute for Educational Research
- October 26, 2009 "How Can We Make Them Get It?" Findings from research on communicatingÂ ocean sciences to public audiences, Shawn Rowe
- November 9, 2009 How did we get the California Science Education Standards (and their challenges for science education in California) , Dr. Bonnie Brunkhorst, CSU San Bernardino
- November 12, 2009 Top 10 Myths of Creationism & Their Flaws, Dr. Ashley Carter, CSU Long Beach
- February 18, 2010 Revealing Student Learning in Museums, Dr. Janette Griffin, University of Technology, Sydney, Australia
- April 13, 2010 STEM Career Changers and Their Sense of Identity, Dr. Jane Grier, CSU Channel Islands & Dr. Carol Johnston, Mount Saint Mary's
- April 14, 2010 Physics First â€“ Physics for All! Craig Bouma, Loyola High School
- May 12, 2010 Science Teacher Inductions - Lessons from the Field, Dr. Julie Luft, Arizona State University
- October 20, 2008 Exploring the Impact of Visualization on Conceptual Understanding in Chemistry. Dr. Barbara Gonzalez, CSU Fullerton.
- November 10, 2008 Science Education: Sputnik to Today. Dr. Larry Yore, University of Victoria.
- November 17, 2008 The Nature of Science and Evolution in Secondary High School Biology Textbooks: A Content Analysis. Dr. Paul Narguizian, CSU Los Angeles.
- December 8, 2008 The Promise of Web-based Technology in Transforming Inquiry Science Teaching: Lessons from Elementary and Middle School Teachers. Dr. Moses Ochanji, CSU San Marcos.
- February 23, 2009 The Thorny Issue of Reconciling Discourse Patterns, English Learners, and Science Assessment. Terry Shanahan, UC Irvine.
- March 16, 2009 Urban Education: Science Teacher Retention in Urban Schools: A Study of Success and Failure. Hedy Moscovici, CSU Dominguez Hills.
- April 6, 2009 NARST/AERA Preview! Graduate students and faculty shared their research findings before presenting them at national conferences. MS alumni presenters included: Shehzad Bhojani, Susan Hunt, Padmini Kishore and Ron Rita. Faculty presenter: Susan Gomez-Zwiep, Laura Henriques, Jim Kisiel, Catherine Martin-Dunlop, and Bill Straits.
- November 5, 2007 Sorting Through the Noise: What National Reports are telling us needs to be done in Science Education. Dr. Herb Brunkhorst, CSU San Bernardino.
- December 3, 2007 Taking Action in Science Education: Civic Involvement, Service-Learning, and Stewardship. Dr. Amy Cox-Petersen, CSU Fullerton.
- February 6, 2008 Twenty Thousand Hours: An Introduction to the Field of Learning Environments. Dr. Catherine Martin-Dunlop, CSU Long Beach.
- March 5, 2008 Who decides if it is effective teaching? Wisdom from urban secondary science learners. Dr. Donna Ross, San Diego State University.
- April 9, 2008 Fossils, photovoltaics and misconceptions: The challenges of learning (and teaching) science beyond the classroom. Dr. James Kisiel, CSU Long Beach.
- May 7, 2008 Writing to learn science using Calibrated Peer Review. Dr. James Rudd, CSU Los Angeles.