The faculty of the Graduate Center for Public Policy and Administration adopted a Student Learning Portfolio as an MPA program requirement, which took effect in Fall 2002. In Spring 2007, the faculty adopted significant changes to the process, content and organization of the (SLP). These changes are effective Fall 2007.
- For core courses that you completed prior to Fall 2007 please refer to the previous Student Learning Portfolio Handbook for directions on submitting papers.
- For portfolios submitted prior to Fall 2007 please refer to the previous Student Learning Portfolio Handbook for directions on completing and submitting the portfolio.
This Portfolio will help you to gain the greatest possible benefit from the MPA Program. It will also help you to show case your professional talents for the greater public policy and administration community.
We are confident that your Student Learning Portfolio will strongly contribute to your success in the MPA Program.
Students who are planning on registering for PPA 697 must complete the PPA 697 Declaration of Intent form. Please complete the form and submit it to SSPA-228. The information supplied on the form will be used to issue your permit to enroll in PPA 697. This process will allow the Department to match the interests of students who plan on completing the research project option with faculty members who share similar research interests.
MPA Student Learning Portfolio Handbook and Forms (Word)
MPA Student Learning Portfolio Handbook and Forms (PDF)
PORTFOLIO DUE DATES AND INFORMATION
All students who advanced to candidacy during or after Fall 2002 must complete the portfolio option as a requirement for graduation. All students who advanced to candidacy before Fall 2002 have the option of completing the Student Learning Portfolio in lieu of the comprehensive exams. Please read and follow the instructions below. If you have any questions, please contact the full-time faculty.
May 1 201_ by 5:00 pm Completed Portfolio due
December 1, 201_ by 5:00 pm Completed Portfolio due
- If you have ever taken the MPA comprehensive examination, whether you passed or failed, you are not> eligible to select the Portfolio option as your requirement for graduation.
- You must have competed all required courses (500, 555, 577, 660, 670, 696, and 697) before you can exercise the Portfolio option. This includes PPA 697 Directed Research. All must be completed and approved on the Demonstration of Mastery form before the Reflective Essay due date.
- You must have obtained a completed Demonstration of Mastery form (approved by both the original instructor and a second faculty) for each of your Portfolio assignments from PPA 555, 577, 660, 670, 696, and 697 before you can exercise the Portfolio option
- To begin the approval process, you must submit the original, graded copy of the assignment (don't worry if there are instructor comments on it) with the syllabus and grading criteria to the original instructor (see Portfolio Handbook).
- If the original instructor is no longer here, ask for help from the full-time faculty who teach in that field.
- If no assignment was specified on the original syllabus, the lead instructor in that field among the full-time faculty will designate which assignment should be considered for the Portfolio. This assignment is the only one that will be accepted from all students in that class.
- If no grading criteria were specified on the original syllabus, the lead instructor in that field among the full-time faculty will determine the acceptability of the assignment for the Portfolio. This will apply to all students in that class.
- As soon as possible, you should complete the form in the main office that indicates you are choosing the Portfolio option, and indicate the semester you intend to complete the Portfolio. This will allow us to alert Enrollment Services that you will not be doing the comprehensive exam option so they can clear you for graduation.
- You must assemble your entire Portfolio with all the required forms and assignments in the proper order (see Portfolio Handbook).
- You must deliver your completed Portfolio to the office in SSPA-228 for final review by your PPA 697 advisor no later than, (Spring) May 1, 200_ by 5:00 p.m. or (Fall) December 1, 201_ by 5:00, p.m. unless it falls on a weekend.
- You will be advised of the status of your final review within two weeks. Any required revisions must be completed and judged acceptable before the deadline for turning in grades.
- If you have not completed all required courses, or you miss the deadlines for the Reflective Essay or final Portfolio review, you may have to notify the office of Admissions and Records that you will be delaying your graduation until the following semester.
- PPA will notify Enrollment Services when you have successfully completed the portfolio, so that they may begin the process to clear you for graduation.
- If you have already completed all your courses and are not taking any courses during the semester you complete the Portfolio, you will need to register for one unit of GS-700 through CCPE. You must be currently registered the semester that you complete the Portfolio and/or graduate, including Fall or Spring semesters or Summer session.
- The student appeal process that is now in place for the comprehensive exams will be used for students wishing to appeal faculty decisions regarding the Portfolio. For information on this process, please check with the main office in SSPA-228.