Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration
Program Information (Code HCA_BS01) (120 units)
Health Care Administration is a department housed in the College of Health and Human Services. The Undergraduate Health Care Administration Program is a certified member of the Association of University Programs in Health Administration (AUPHA). Such certification demonstrates program excellence through a
processes of external peer review in which programs are examined to determine quality of the curriculum, infrastructrure, and outcomes. California State University Long Beach is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges.
The BS Program admits freshmen and transfer students with significant community college credits. Interested students must first apply to the University for admission, and are encouraged to contact the HCA department for advising before enrolling in courses.
Requirements for Admission
All students will complete the following prerequisites before beginning the HCA Program:
- Complete prerequisites: ACCT 201, ECON 101 or 300, SOC 250 (or equivalent) and BIOL 200 (or equivalent).
- A minimum of 13 semester units or the equivalent in the prerequisite preparatory courses for the major.
- An overall grade point average of 2.0 or higher is required for entrance into the Program.
- A minimum grade of "C" is required for each prerequisite course.
- Computer proficiency in word processing, spreadsheet, database and presentation software is expected. Business calculus (MATH 115) is recommended.
- Complete the University requirements for General Education. For information on GE requirements, see the Academic Advising Center or call 562/985-4837.
- Complete the prerequisite courses.
- Complete the major core course requirements: HCA 300, 312, 340, 341, 353, 410, 416, 450, 465, 480 and 481, HSC 150 and 400.
- Select and complete the required upper division elective courses: A minimum of 9 additional units from the following: HCA 320, 417I, 422I, 439, *451 (same as ECON 445), 452, 457I, 470I (same as CHLS 470I) and 471 (same as GEOG 471).
- Complete all course requirements to total 120 semester units.
- Successfully complete the Graduation Writitng Assessment Requiredment -GWAR (Fee Required). Register through the Testing Office (562) 985-4006.
- Each major course must be completed with a grade of "C" or better. A course in which a grade lower than "C" is received must be retaken and successfully completed prior to enrolling in any course for which it is a prerequisite. A student receiving a grade lower than "C" may proceed with other courses with approval of the Undergraduate Advisor.
Core Courses (Required)
Elective Courses for the HCA Major
Select three of the following classes for a total of 9 elective units:
Lower Division Courses in Health Care Administration
There are no prerequisites for these courses, and they are open to students of all majors
For further information, admission or advising information please contact the
HCA Department Office at (562) 985-5694 or firstname.lastname@example.org.