Sigma Phi Omega: The National Academic and Professional Society in Gerontology
About Sigma Phi Omega
- Sigma Phi Omega (SPO), the national academic honor and professional society in gerontology, was established in 1980 to recognize excellence of those who study gerontology and aging and the outstanding service of professionals who work with or on behalf of older persons. The formation of a society provides a much needed link between educators, practitioners, and administrators in various settings where older persons are served.
- Mission: To promote scholarship, professionalism, friendship and services to older persons and to advance the education of those individuals in aging related fields.
- SPO welcomes you to meet our members and share news reflecting excellence and outstanding service within our gerontology profession.
- Official Website of Sigma Phi Omega: CLICK HERE
- Undergraduates with a GPA of at least 3.3
- Graduate level students with a GPA of at least 3.5.
- Those who do not have the required GPA can still participate under probationary status while attempting to raise the GPA. Alumni and professionals in aging related fields are also welcome to join.
$ 25.00 per year
(includes membership pin and certificate)
- Every 2nd
of the month from 6:00-7:00 PM
However, the meeting schedule may vary from semester to semester.
If you are interested in attending, please contact Mr. Goeller at Casey.Goeller@csulb.edu beforehand or our immediate past-president John Fay (email@example.com).
- Usually to be held in FCS room 108/110
We may have additional meetings during the month dependent upon needed event planning.
Elections: Board of Directors 2014-2015
It’s your time to be a leader! Get involved and make a difference!
Candidate for one of the board member position: President, Vice-President, or Treasurer.
For more details please contact our Faculty Advisor, Mr. Goeller at Casey.Goeller@csulb.edu or any of our past board members. (Please note: Mr. Goeller is our SPO Faculty Advisor for Fall 2014 until Dr. Claver will be back from sabbatical)
Read about our chapter in the SPO National Newsletter on page 14.
Canned Food Drive
Outstanding Campus Involvment Award 2013-2014- Student Life and Development, CSULB.
Coastline Gerontology Networking Event
CHHS Health and Safety Fair @ The Beach
Canned Food Drive & Long Beach Senior Center
Alzheimer's Walk- Huntington Beach; Anaheim
Senior Santa & Friends
Dr. Maria Claver
John Fay, MSGc
Elena Ionescu, MSGc
Steven Grande, MSGc