Director's Award for Outstanding Achievement
This award recognizes the student who the SCPD Director, in consultation with mentors, faculty and staff, believes has shown outstanding achievement and personal growth during the academic year.
Applicants must document their achievements over the course of the academic year. Factors to be evaluated include academic success, leadership in student organizations, participation in civic or volunteer activities, achievement in sports, arts or other personal endeavors and certificates, licenses or awards earned. Written testimonials from faculty, mentors, employers and civic leaders will be helpful to the student’s case. The student’s ability to overcome physical, financial, language or other personal limitations will also be an important consideration.
Awards are based upon a written essay and a 7 - 10 minute oral presentation to a panel of judges. Written essays should be three to five pages long, double spaced, and discuss the student’s achievements both specifically and within the context of the student’s other activities, obstacles or other achievements. Oral presentations must be 7 – 10 minutes long and may make use of visual aids. The oral presentation should offer a summary of the written presentation and should include a persuasive argument as to why the applicant feels his or her achievements merit receipt of this award.
This year, due to new regulations on monetary awards and financial aid, the winners of our awards will receive an iPad Mini and will be recognized at our Awards Banquet on Friday, May 3rd 2013. Also, Dale Carnegie has generously donated a special training for the winner of this year Professional Excellence Award. To learn more about the training visit the Dale Carnegie website.
- Current SCPD student
- Minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA
- Demonstrated outstanding achievement and personal growth during the academic year.
- Online Application Form –to be submitted to SCPD no later than 5:00 p.m. Friday, March 29th 2013.
- Essay and supporting documentation to be uploaded onto the Online Application Form.
- Candidate must be available to give an oral presentation to a panel of judges during the week April 8, 2013.
- Applying for the Director's Award does not disqualify a student from applying for any other SCPD award.
- Questions? Contact SCPD Office at (562) 985-2265 or email us: firstname.lastname@example.org