Dean’s Update, August 14, 2012
The Long Beach Small Business Monitor is Now Online
Marketing instructor Dr. Scott Flexo developed the Long Beach Small Business Monitor to survey the business expectations of owners and managers of Long Beach small businesses. The third quarter release is part of an ongoing series of surveys designed to provide the community with an understanding of the expectations and challenges of Long Beach small business. The survey series is sponsored by the College of Business Administration at CSULB and supported by community business and organizations. The results represent the opinions of a scientifically selected sample of Long Beach small business owners and managers.
In the second quarter release, Long Beach small businesses were cautiously optimistic about the coming year. Half feel that the local economy will get better, and one-fourth feel it will stay the same. A majority were optimistic that sales and revenue will grow, and small businesses in Long Beach were more optimistic than pessimistic about their plans for hiring. Many anticipated moderate increases in hiring in the coming year. Nearly 3 in 10 small businesses in Long Beach planned to increase capital spending on new equipment and supplies. New spending on marketing and advertising was expected to be modest, with nearly 3 in 10 planning on spending more in 2012.
A big thank you to the group of 100 small business owners and managers, randomly selected, who completed this survey. For information about an in-person presentation to your business group or organization for all 2012 survey data, please e-mail Dr. Scott Flexo at Scott.Flexo@csulb.edu.
If you know of any company or organization that would like to help sponsor these local community surveys, please contact Scott for more information.
In This Issue
- AACSB Updates
- Welcoming New Faculty Members to the CBA
- CBA Faculty Members Hitting Top Journals
- Molina Healthcare and California State University Long Beach Expand Partnership
- Entrepreneurship Certificate Attracts CSULB Students to Free Summer Program
- The Long Beach Small Business Monitor is Now Online
- Daytime Accelerated MBA Orientation July 6 to 8, 2012 Welcomed Our Largest Cohort
- CBA Center for Student Success Swings into Operation
- UCEL 2011-2012 Annual Report
- SCPD Moving Forward
- CBA and Regional Hispanic Chamber of Commerce Participates in Certificate Program in Leadership & Membership Growth