Skip to Local Navigation
Skip to Content
California State University, Long Beach
Alumni Association
Print this pageAdd this page to your favoritesSelect a font sizeSmall fontMedium fontLarge font
 

1951 - 1952

Timeline

Sketch of the new campus.

September, 1951

Classes convened on the new campus in temporary buildings. The students move in wherever possible. The parking lot was situated on the side of a hill, and every time it rained, the vehicles slid down the hill, into each other in the mud.

Click on thumbnails to view large versions of photos:

Dr. P. Peterson and the future campus layout.

This is the library when the campus first moved to its new home. Students spend a profitable hour in the reserve reading room.

November 16

Inauguration of the permanent campus site was acknowledged at a "campus warming" ceremony.

New & Improved Student Facilities

New student services were established or improved from the prior years to accommodate the students such as the library, a health office, The 49er Canteen, lounge, bookstore, and placement office.

Spring, 1952

Enrollment continued to increase up to 2,000 students with more than 80 instructional staff.

Click on thumbnails to view large versions of photos: