Skip to Local Navigation
Skip to Content
California State University, Long Beach
Alumni Association
Print this pageAdd this page to your favoritesSelect a font sizeSmall fontMedium fontLarge font
 

1950 - 1959

Timeline

Gov. Earl Warren

Student Body President Bob Swansbrough welcomes new and returning students in his convocation address.

During the first week an assembly was held in the quad. Dr. Peterson introduced his staff and spoke of the status and the future of the new school.

Dr. Carl McIntosh becomes new president of the college.

First permanent buildings occupied.

The 34 out of the 114 first freshman class that had enrolled four years before graduated from LBSC.

Over 225 freshmen attended the very first "Frosh Day" event.

January 27, 1949

Governor Earl Warren signed the enabling act authorizing the building of a new college as a result of a 1947 survey, conducted by the State Board of Education and Regents of the University of California. Dr. P. Victor Peterson was named president of the new college.

September 28, 1949

Los Angeles-Orange County State College was opened with 169 enrolled students and thirteen full-time faculty in a converted apartment building at 5401 E. Anaheim Street. Classes were only offered to junior and senior classmen consisting mostly of women and veterans. The college only offered 29 classes with emphasis on Teacher Education, Business Education, and the Liberal Arts.

June 6-8, 1950

The City of Long Beach, by vote of the people, authorized the City Council to purchase a 320 acre tract of land. It was deeded to the State to be the future home of the new college. It was decided the college would be renamed to Long Beach State College (LBSC) upon donation of the new site by the people of Long Beach.

Alumni Association Founded

The Alumni Association was founded to sponsor and coordinate activities of interest to the graduates of the college. Eugene Amsberry served as the first president.

June 15, 1951

Eleven candidates were the first to receive their Master of Arts degree from LBSC.

Fall, 1953

LBSC began offering lower division classes, and admitted the first class of freshman and sophomore students. The freshman class consisted of 114 students.

First permanent Classrooms

January 1, 1955 marked the end of LBSC's infant stages because the first permanent buildings were occupied after two years of the construction in progress.

Fall, 1955

LBSC was voted into the California Collegiate Athletic Association. Tennis, basketball, track and golf entered the conference immediately.

June, 1957

The 34 out of the 114 first freshman class that had enrolled four years before graduated from LBSC. (photo 4)

Frosh Day

Fall semester of 1957, the very first "Frosh Day" was attempted by the Associated Students to produce an orientation program for new incoming students. Over 225 freshmen attended the day-long event. This was the opportunity for new students to get familiar and ask questions regarding academic standards, campus activities, and student government. (photo 5)

First Dormitories

The first dormitories were complete by September of 1958 to be used the following year (1959-1960) by students, changing the campus from only being a "commuter campus" to a resident college.